SERVICE TAX CREDIT
As per Service Tax credit Rules, 2002, every service provider (output
service provider) shall be eligible to avail credit of the service tax paid by him to
other service providers, in respect of the services (Input service) provided by them to
him. Such availment should be in relation to the rendering of service by the service
- If both the input and output services fall under same category of service, credit can be
availed in respect of all such input service for which invoice or bill or challan is
issued on or after 16.8.2002.
- If the input and output services fall under the different categories of services, credit
can be availed in respect of input services for which invoice or bill or challan is issued
on or after 14.5.2003.
- The output service provider shall be allowed to take such credit only after he makes
payment against the bill to the input service provider.
- If the output service provider also provides either any taxable service which is
exempted from payment of service tax or any service which is not at all taxable, the input
services on which service tax is paid might be used both in respect of the taxable service
as well as the exempted/non-taxable service, rendered y the output service provider. In
such a case the following procedure have been prescribed.
- The output service provider shall maintain separate accounts in respect of the input
service availed by him and utilised in the rendering of taxable service as well as
exempted/non-taxable service. Credit can be availed only in respect of that quantum of
input service, which is utilised by the service provider towards rendering taxable
- If the output service provider opts not to maintain such records, he can utilise service
tax credit of his service tax liability, only to the extent of 35% of service tax payable
on the output service.
- Service tax credit in respect of Telephone connection can be availed only if such
telephone connection is installed in the premises where output service is provided.
- In support of the credit availed, the invoice or bill or challan issued by the input
service provider shall be preserved. It should contain the following information: Sl. No.
of the document, date of issue, description and value of the input service, the service
tax paid/payable, service tax registration number and address of the input service
- The output service provider shall maintain proper records with regard to the availment
of service tax credit availed by him.
- A half yearly return in the proforma
in terms of Rule 5(4) of the Service Tax Credit Rules, 2002 has to be filed
along with half yearly ST-3 return.
- The unutilsed balance of service tax cannot be claimed as refund.